Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Shopping in the Bright Lights

This past weekend, I had a conference for my "real" job in Edmonton, so I got to spend the whole weekend (Thursday-Sunday) situated in a very challenging position. As much as the conference was important and informative, the nagging feeling of what is lying out in the cosmetics stores just waiting for me to go and browse!

I grew up in a small town outside of the city, and spent a few years living right in Edmonton. Five years ago, I moved to Lac La Biche, which is approximately 2.5 hours away. Growing up, I remember that "going to the city" was a special outing and we would only go to "the big mall" (aka West Edmonton Mall) on very special occasions. After I lived in Edmonton for a few years, my mindset changed and I avoided going to WEM for any reason at all. It wasn't until Sephora opened that I started to visit again.

After moving to LLB, and having two children, trips to go shopping for expensive cosmetics pretty much came to a halt. Between school, soccer, work, family, a little bit of friends and maintaining a home, trips to Edmonton were becoming fewer and faster, more of an "in and out" trip then one for browsing.

Back to this weekend, I had some time to burn. And the conference was only 10 minutes from WEM. And there was Sephora, MAC, and a billion other stores to go check out. Finally, a chance to go do some browsing came and I was gone like the wind! Approaching the stores, I was almost nervous, because I remembered how Sephora used to be almost intimidating, with colours, scents, sounds and products that used to make my head spin!
Maybe I worked myself up to much, or maybe I exaggerated my past experiences slightly, but Sephora wasn't overwhelming, much less intimidating. I felt completely at home with the brands and products, and knew exactly what I was looking for. I was able to find the products I wanted and find a few things to try, paid and left. After I was finished with my purchases, I found myself feeling almost disappointed. I wanted the rush, getting wound up in the excitement and having an experience, instead of just...well...shopping.

I am not sure if maybe it was an off day, or maybe I am becoming a "grown up" but I am learning that shopping sure wasn't what it used to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment